Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sarah's Picks: The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Hi readers!

My name is Sarah, and I work in the Young Adult Department at the Charleston County Public Library. Some of my favorite things are: the first day in spring when it's warmer outside than inside, my dog, Chip, and (naturally) a good book.


The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

I was hooked after reading the title. Then to learn that Jess Rothenberg is a local! I was primed to love this book, and it did not disappoint. Here's the premise:

Before her sixteenth birthday, Brie's heart is LITERALLY broken in half after her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her. She goes on a quest to make sense of what happened (with her guide, Lost Soul Patrick) and work through the five stages of grief in order to move on from her life--and death--on earth.

I liked this book's inventive conceit; it explores the idea of what happens after you die without being too preachy or serious. There's also an excellent dog character (one of my metrics for determining what is a good book) with an excellent name (Hamloaf). Another cool feature of the book is the integration of musical tidbits. I challenge you to try to identify which songs all of the titles come from (before looking in the back--no cheating)!

To sum it up, this book is light and delicious as a meringue cookie. A perfect blend of romance, supernatural, mystery, humor, and adventure, it is a great one to take to the beach and remember your first love--and first heartache.

No comments:

Post a Comment