Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sarah's Picks: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Hi there!  My name is Sarah, and I work in the Young Adult department at the Charleston County Public Library. Some of my favorite things are: the first day in spring when it's warmer outside than inside, my dogs, Chip and Izzy, and (naturally) a good book.



The book for this round of my picks was pretty easy to, well, pick. Starting today, September 11, teens around the lowcountry are encouraged to try their hand (click here!) at identifying the places we left copies of Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. See a sneak peek here:



Also, I happen to love the book. And have a teensy-tiny (literary) crush on the author.



In the novel, a young Oskar Schell goes on a mission to find a lock. The lock must match the key that belonged to his father, who died in the 9/11 attacks. Interspersed with newspaper articles, photographs, business cards, and plenty of other tidbits, Oskar's quest will captivate you, break your heart, make you cry, make you laugh.  Foer brings his unique writing style to another (also read Everything is Illuminated!) unique narrator.

First sentence:  "What about a teakettle?"

Okay, so you can take this information and run with it--run all the way to any of our branches to check out the book, to our catalog of downloadable books to read an e-copy, to our scavenger hunt website, and/or to meet Mr. Foer (you can bet I'll be there!) on Tuesday, October 23rd at College of Charleston's TD Arena at 5pm.

Happy reading,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. In a blatant act of name dropping, I went to high school with Jon Foer. He was class of '95, I was class of '98. I know his younger brother, Josh Foer, too. It's a whole family of good authors.

    I'm a youth services librarian in Atlantic City, NJ s well.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete