Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Author Interview: Michelle Hodkin

Author Interview: Michelle Hodkin

At 16, Michelle Hodkin sadly lost the rights to her soul in a poker game with pirates just south of Natchez. Shortly thereafter, she joined an acting troupe and traveled the world performing feats of wonder and mischief. (She also grew up in Florida, went to college in New York, and studied law in Michigan.)

She just released her debut novel to the applause of YA author superstar Cassandra Clare, among others who loved the book. Read it yourself and then come meet Michelle at YALLFest!


What inspired you to write The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, your debut novel?

The short answer is that it was inspired by true events, and on May 15, 2009, I had the idea to turn them into a book. The long answer will be posted on http://www.maradyer.com/.


Why did you decide to write a book for teens?

I didn’t set out to write a book for teenagers; I honestly didn’t set out to write a book at all. But when I started writing Mara’s story because I couldn’t NOT write it, the characters were all teenagers and the perspective was definitely young adult. And it’s a perspective I love, so I plan to stick with it.

                                                        The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer 
The book has been hailed by the likes of Cassandra Clare, Rachel Hawkins, and Veronica Roth. What’s that like?

It's sort of like waking up to find that your house has landed on a private island, or eating an ice cream sundae that really doesn't have any calories. In other words, it's completely unreal. I haven’t really processed the fact that they’ve read it, let alone that they liked it enough to blurb it.


Did any of your experiences as a teenager, or any people you knew at the time, make it into your book?

My lawyer told me not to answer that.


Did you get along with your parents when you were a teen?

In the same way most teenagers get along with their parents :) I only fully appreciated who they are as people when I became an adult.


Who did you look up to?

My grandmother.


Are your characters modeled after your own experiences growing up?

Now that you mention it, I’m kind of curious whether anyone would actually want to read a book about my own experiences growing up.


Are you anything like Mara?

I think bits of myself make it into each of the characters I write, but if I had to pick one, I think I probably resemble Jamie the most.


What are you reading right now?

I saw Wicked on Broadway for the first time a few weeks ago, and it made me want to reread the book. So I just recently started it again; it’s phenomenal.


What’s next for you?

The sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer which should hit shelves in fall 2012!


See you at YALLFest!

No comments:

Post a Comment