Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Author Interview: Beth Revis

Author Inverview: Beth Revis

Beth Revis' debut novel about a girl cryogenically frozen aboard a spaceship, Across the Universe has become a bestseller. Beth loves to blog about writing, grammar, and publishing at Writing it Out. She also founded the dystopian blog the League of Extraordinary Writers. And, yes, she does believe that space is the final frontier. Learn all about her before YALLFest!


We’re all excited that you’ll be at YALLFest! What made you decide to come?

I was invited! I LOVE Charleston, and I didn't have to think twice about coming. In fact, I took my honeymoon there, so I'm even more excited about coming back!


What is it like for your debut novel to become a bestseller? Do you feel like you've been launched into outer space?

YES. It's been so surreal. I'd been writing for years--a decade, as a matter of fact--before I got a book deal. I have ten novels that I wrote before Across the Universe, and none of them even got me an agent, let alone a book deal. The fact that my eleventh novel in my eleventh year got published...and then rocketed so high up--it's insane!


Why do you write books for teens?
                                                               Across The Universe
I don't write for teens. I write for me. The label on my books is "YA" for "young adult," but I don't think I'm writing for an age group. I think I'm writing in a certain style--fast pace, interesting setting, involved characters. That's a style, not a suggest reading level. Anyone who likes reading books where there's things blowing up in space, kissing, murder, and intrigue is more than welcome to Across the Universe.


Does Across the Universe reflect your own experiences as a teenager in any way?

Surprisingly, yes. Elder's desire to please and be good enough for the ship stems from my own desire to be published and for my writing to be good enough. And Amy's desire for her parents and her want to be protected and kept safe comes from my own fears of living by myself in college. I went to college very young, in a university that was larger than my entire home county, and was 200 miles away from home.


Do you dream of space travel? Being cryogenically frozen for future generations?

I'd love a vacation home on the moon! But as for truly going into space, with cryogenic freezing and everything...no. That sounds painful and scary.


Did you grow up wanting to be a writer?

Yes. I've always wanted this! I wrote my first "novel," a 10-page short story about unicorns, when I was in elementary school.


Did you get along with your parents?

I was a bit of a goody-two-shoes growing up, but I can honestly say that I got along better with my parents after I moved out and started my own life.


Who did you look up to as a teen?

Setting aside my New Kids on the Block phase, I most often looked up to writers, teachers, and librarians. Books were the world to me--I could escape in books, and anyone who provided me with books were my heroes.


Are your characters modeled after your own experiences growing up?

Amy and Elder are, to a certain extent.


Are you anything like Amy in Across the Universe?

See above question :)


We can't wait to read your sequel A Million Suns (due out Jan. 10). Any pre-publication hints?

I can only tell you that at least two things you think are true in Across the Universe are actually lies.


See you at YALLFest!

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment